While I walked to work today, I can't remember the last time I was this grateful to have electricity, Internet, and warm food. As the storm picked up on Monday night, water rushed onto the shores of Manhattan, wind whipped debris through the streets, and my utilities were slowly cut off. One by one, the electricity, hot water, cable, and Internet disappeared. Late in the evening, a very large transformer exploded near my apartment, which didn't help the lower half of Manhattan. However, some people are entirely without water. The below picture, taken by Michael Cinquino, a photographer from Brooklyn, shows the split between those who were and were not affected. While this is a temporary inconvenience with no known timeline as to when utilities will be restored, I'm feeling grateful that my situation is not worse. With the massive devastation in New York City and the surrounding area, I couldn't be more thankful for the countless individuals who are piecing everything back together as I write this.
With all of the chaos over the past few days, I forgot that today was Halloween. My two-year-old self would like to wish you all a Happy Halloween, filled with hot cider, creative costumes, and tons of candy. I had wanted to pass out candy to trick or treaters today, but that likely won't happen. I'll have to enjoy some candy myself to celebrate. Please excuse my Hurricane Sandy hair...


No comments:
Post a Comment