Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Molly's Cupcakes
Prior to last weekend, I had been told by multiple New Yorkers that I needed to visit Molly's. When I get recommendations for cupcake shops, I usually file them in that Sweets to Remember drawer of my brain and go about my business. However, as I was enjoying an afternoon at Washington Square Park on Saturday, it occurred to me that Molly's was a short walk away. To everyone who has recommended these cupcakes to me, you were right. I love them. First, some background. Molly's, which originated in Chicago, was named for the founder's third-grade teacher, who always baked cupcakes for her students' birthdays. Those cupcakes must have made a huge impact, as Molly's now gives a portion of its profits to benefit schools in the community. Obviously, I am all about any organization that supports education. If you add cupcakes to the equation, I'm instantly sold. In fact, She's the First had its second birthday party at Molly's! Aside from the great cause, the cupcakes are delicious. Many of them have fillings, which is unique. I tried a pumpkin spice mini and a regular butterscotch caramel. Both delicious, but I'm a sucker for anything pumpkin. Molly's also allows you to build your own cupcake (see image below), including cake, frosting, and toppings. If you choose a pre-made flavor, they also offer a Sprinkle Bar because, if you're like me, you enjoy a little extra pizzazz when it comes to your sweets. While I'm quick to name my tried-and-true favorite cupcakeries in the city, Molly's quickly made its way to the top of the list.
What Experts Say
"The death of the cupcake has been predicted for some time now, but that hasn't stopped Chicago-based confectionery Molly's Cupcakes from setting up shop in town. It even had the gall to open only a few blocks down from Magnolia Bakery, that temple of cupcakerie and other awfulness. And good thing it did, because its mini frosted cakes are far superior. The extensive roster offers flavors ranging from Nutella-peanut butter to blueberry cheesecake to classic vanilla, plus Molly's even offers a build-your-own option, should you want, say, red velvet cake topped with vegan chocolate icing and gummy bears. Best of all: no middle-aged women on self-guided Sex and the City tours." -Village Voice
What I Think
Get Social: Website / Twitter / Facebook / Instagram
Location: 228 Bleecker Street (Map it)
Favorite Flavor: So far, it has to be pumpkin spice
Bite Count: Two for minis / Five for regulars
Price: $1 for minis / $2 for regulars / $3.75 for center-filled
Also Offering: Cookies, bars, pies, cheesecakes, homemade ice cream
Overall Score: 9/10 -- When I took the paper off, they fell apart a bit
Nearby Must-Eat: Grab dinner at The Meatball Shop
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


YUM! We have a Molly's Cupcakes in Chicago and it's amazing!
ReplyDeleteIsn’t That Charming.
Sounds delicious! Great post! Hugs from Cali! xx The Golden Girls
ReplyDelete