When I first moved to Manhattan last summer, I lived in Chelsea for a short time and discovered Billy's about two blocks from my apartment. It was the first New York City cupcake that I fell in love with, so it seems appropriate that I feature it first in my new series: The Cupcake Files. While the shop is tiny, it has a quirky, retro feel and offers cupcakes that are worth the line out the door. One of my favorite things about Billy's is that rather than using a piping bag, each cupcake is iced by hand with pastel-colored frosting. It feels like a little piece of home in the middle of the big city. Billy's also has the most adorable logo, which they print on shirts that match the cupcake frosting. As a BIlly's regular, I may need to invest in this gray and mint American Apparel sweatshirt. If you don't live in the city, you can also order some of Billy's treats online.
What Experts Say
"Declaring your cupcake affinity in the city may be more polarizing than wearing Greek letters at college, or picking a table in a high school lunchroom. Lovers of Billy’s, however, pledge their allegiance proudly. From the sugary pastel colors, to the grandma’s kitchen aroma, your cupcake experience is sure to be amazing. Snatch up a coconut cupcake if they have them, or go for classic chocolate or vanilla with cloud-like fluffs of buttercream icing." -CBS New York
Locations: 184 9th Avenue / 75 Franklin Street / 268 Elizabeth Street (Map it)
Favorite Flavors: Banana, pumpkin, and chocolate mint
Bite Count: About four
Price: $3 per cupcake
Other Notable Treats: Hello Dolly Bars and banana cake
Overall Score: 8/10 -- The icing is a tad too sweet for me
Nearby Must-Sees: The Highline and Chelsea Market in Chelsea


I will have to give Billy's a try the next time I am in New York. I always love suggestions for new places I must go when I visit.
ReplyDeleteYes, you must! I'll be updating with more suggestions in the future, so you'll have plenty of my favorites to choose from!
ReplyDelete