During my first year living in Manhattan, I hadn't found an organization that I felt especially drawn to volunteer for. All of that changed when I met the incredible Tammy Tibbetts at the beginning of July. About three years ago, Tammy founded She's the First. Since then, she's been named to The League of Extraordinary Women by Fast Company, called one of The 5 Most Powerful Women Changing the World for Girls by Forbes, and honored by many others. The best way for you to understand the power of She's the First is to watch the following short video about its mission statement:
Take a moment to let the magnitude of that mission sink in. It's a big deal. To give some perspective, one in four girls in the developing world is not in school. Of the 130 million youth who are out of school in the world, 70% are girls, presenting a crippling gender gap. Yet, less than two cents of every development dollar goes to girls. Tammy shared these stats with me during our first one-on-one meeting, and I knew I had to get involved. Over the past two months, I have helped create infographics and plan an un-conference to celebrate the UN's first International Day of the Girl (more on that later). I have also met dozens of kind and talented women who believe in the power of education.
Keep reading for information on the Cupcake Campaign.
In the above video, volunteers mentioned baking tie-dye cupcakes. Last November, 100 teams in 30 states held tie-dye cupcake bake sales and raised $22,800 in eight days. The story of the first tie-dye cupcake bake sale by Lindsay Brown at the University of Notre Dame even made it into Seventeen. This year, She's the First is aiming to raise more than $50,000 from 200 teams in all 50 states, with 100% of proceeds going straight to girls education. Knowing these ladies, I'm sure they'll surpass that goal. If your school, office, or organization would like to get involved, join tomorrow's Twitter Party Kick-Off to learn more. You'll get to chat with Tammy, Lindsay, and many other young women about how to get involved with this deserving cause.
You can also subscribe to receive the She's the First newsletter.

Thank you so much! I appreciate it and will definitely check out your blog, too.
ReplyDelete