Thursday, October 18, 2012

Simplifying with Songza

Aside from the basic Twitter/Facebook/Instagram trifecta, I only have about five other apps on my iPhone. When I see a friend scroll through a few pages to find the app they're looking for, I'm reminded that I probably don't benefit from all of my iPhone's capabilities. However, when someone tells me about an app that can make my life a little bit easier, I take notice. The lovely Allie introduced me to Songza at a recent TWHP workshop. I downloaded and used the app for the first time on Tuesday. It simplifies music selection and makes my workout more enjoyable. Keep reading to learn why.


Songza is not just another music app. It tells me that I can "Listen to Music Curated by Music Experts." What does that mean? When you enter the (free) app, it recognizes the time of day and asks you what you're doing. Are you in the mood for cheerful pop music on the way to work? Sure. Do you want to dance around your room while getting ready to go out at night? Got you covered. You can also search by genre, activity, mood, decade, culture, etc. Once your music starts playing, you'll notice that aside from a small image across the bottom, there are no ads. You can skip songs, replay the ones you like, and not worry about Songza wondering if you're "still there." Everything about it is convenient.

Songza is most useful for me during a workout. It pairs well with my Nike Running app (also free). As Nike is timing me, keeping track of my pace, and mapping my journey, Songza is almost reading my mind with a workout playlist. I always forget to create a new playlist on my iPhone before a run and don't like listening to the same songs over and over, so this is perfect. I don't have to think about it. All I have to do is enter time, activity, mood, and I'm set.

What are some of your favorite apps that make your life a little bit easier? Help me add to my collection!

1 comment:

  1. Just downloaded this! Thanks for the tip - I especially like how it uses the time of day to help pick songs.

    I feel like I have a bunch of apps on my phone that I don't use - when I tried to pick out a unique one to comment that I love I couldn't! I pretty much use the standard Facebook, Twitter, Instagram trifecta. I'll definitely have to research some new good ones!

    ReplyDelete