During my senior year of college, everyone from my professors to my parents reminded me how important it is to network. "It's all about who you know." I listened to them, completed informational interviews, landed a job (thank goodness), and started my career with a small network of mid-level to senior professionals. When you're a soon-to-be graduate searching for a job, your goal is to network with those who will help you find a job or make a hiring decision. Those professionals tend to be (but are not always) more experienced. I was so focused on landing a job that by the time I was actually starting mine, I forgot that networking is not just about looking up. Am I the only one? It's just as much about looking around, reaching out, and building relationships with peers.
This is an important lesson that has significantly impacted my career and personal life over the past few months. However, it took me longer than I would have liked to realize how much my peers could teach me.
My first year in Manhattan flew by, as I adjusted to the responsibilities that come with post-grad life. By the time I stopped to catch my breath this past spring, I realized that I hadn't invested enough time in those experiences outside of work that help build relationships with peers. After all, a successful network should surround you, not just stand above you. And as I'm no longer the youngest employee on my team, I'm learning from those junior to me, as well. Here's how I've started to build my peer network:
For a Cause: I've already mentioned my involvement with She's the First, an incredible non-profit that sponsors girls' education in the developing world and fosters leadership skills in girls in the U.S. I was immediately drawn to the idea of using social media as a tool for social change. As I met the other STF volunteers (both in person and virtually), it was so obvious that they should be part of my network. I encourage you to find a cause that you believe in and volunteer your time to support it. On top of the positive impact you'll have on others, you'll be adding like-minded peers to your network who support at least one cause that you do. And, as cheesy as it may sound, they'll grow to support you just as strongly.
Exercise Creativity: Although I have strived to add creative elements to my job as a researcher, I also needed a creative outlet. This past spring, I applied to contribute to Sweet Lemon Magazine. In May, I received an email saying that I was selected to contribute. A Times Square photoshoot and a few article drafts later, How to Be Your Own PR Girl, went live in June. Since then, I have started to write for The Zesty Digest blog and am contributing to SLM Issue No.6 (out this Saturday). While almost all contact with these ladies has been virtual, I have loved being part of the team and am constantly impressed by talented founders Carly, Paris, and Melissa. Look for an opportunity outside of work that you can use to meet peers with similar passions, as well as sharpen skills that will benefit your career.
Your Career: When it comes down to it, any connection you make could impact your career. While there are countless opportunities to network outside of true professional situations, it's important to build relationships with your peers at work. They were hired because they are just as qualified as you are, so you likely have a lot to teach one another. From the day I started my job, I have been impressed by my peers' talents and achievements. In fact, some of my favorite projects have been those when I collaborated with junior employees on other teams. In my experience, you'll benefit much more from collaboration than competition. In the end, isn't it best to toast success with someone other than yourself?
If you're looking for more ways to jumpstart your career, I highly recommend The Levo League as a resource. Check out what Elana Gross has to say about her peer relationship with new coworker Carly (SLM's Editor in Chief!):
Image via Hayden Williams
This is an important lesson that has significantly impacted my career and personal life over the past few months. However, it took me longer than I would have liked to realize how much my peers could teach me.
My first year in Manhattan flew by, as I adjusted to the responsibilities that come with post-grad life. By the time I stopped to catch my breath this past spring, I realized that I hadn't invested enough time in those experiences outside of work that help build relationships with peers. After all, a successful network should surround you, not just stand above you. And as I'm no longer the youngest employee on my team, I'm learning from those junior to me, as well. Here's how I've started to build my peer network:
Exercise Creativity: Although I have strived to add creative elements to my job as a researcher, I also needed a creative outlet. This past spring, I applied to contribute to Sweet Lemon Magazine. In May, I received an email saying that I was selected to contribute. A Times Square photoshoot and a few article drafts later, How to Be Your Own PR Girl, went live in June. Since then, I have started to write for The Zesty Digest blog and am contributing to SLM Issue No.6 (out this Saturday). While almost all contact with these ladies has been virtual, I have loved being part of the team and am constantly impressed by talented founders Carly, Paris, and Melissa. Look for an opportunity outside of work that you can use to meet peers with similar passions, as well as sharpen skills that will benefit your career.
Your Career: When it comes down to it, any connection you make could impact your career. While there are countless opportunities to network outside of true professional situations, it's important to build relationships with your peers at work. They were hired because they are just as qualified as you are, so you likely have a lot to teach one another. From the day I started my job, I have been impressed by my peers' talents and achievements. In fact, some of my favorite projects have been those when I collaborated with junior employees on other teams. In my experience, you'll benefit much more from collaboration than competition. In the end, isn't it best to toast success with someone other than yourself?
If you're looking for more ways to jumpstart your career, I highly recommend The Levo League as a resource. Check out what Elana Gross has to say about her peer relationship with new coworker Carly (SLM's Editor in Chief!):
"The co-founders of The Levo League, Caroline Ghosn and Amanda Pouchot, met on their first day at McKinsey and often talk about how they succeeded because they supported one another. At the Levo League we all act as one another's thought partner and anchors. The relationship between Carly and I is similar to the relationship that Amanda and Caroline forged at McKinsey - we are both recent graduates and are learning to navigate corporate life together. When one of us learns something new we share the skills we learned with each other. It is so important to foster relationships with your peers - at The Levo League we value co-mentorship meaning you can learn just as much from your peers as people who are more senior than you in the company. The relationship that Carly and I have is a perfect testament to that."
Image via Hayden Williams
Great post! It's so true -- networking is very important. Also loved your tips on jump starting your career! xo
ReplyDeleteThank you, Emily Marie! I appreciate it. It's true; relationships are so important.
DeleteThis is a really great post! As a recruiter and somewhat of a newly recent college grad I can attest that your blog post points out so many important ways to network and connect to eventually get to your dream job!
ReplyDelete- Monica
Caravan of Style
Thank you, Monica! I love that a recruiter approves of my career tips. Makes me feel like I'm moving in the right direction. Thank you for reading.
DeleteThank you, Meg! I appreciate you reading.
ReplyDeleteIt is all about networking, but you have to gain experience and skills, as well. Great post. I think this is useful to a lot of new graduates and students still in school.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88
Bonnie, I absolutely agree. People say it's "all about" who you know, but it's just as much about gaining experience. You must have something to offer those who you meet. I think the opportunities I've taken advantage of in New York have helped me gain some of that valuable experience.
DeleteThank you, Nava! I appreciate that. I'll definitely take a look at your blog.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lucia! I'm planning to write more career-focused posts in the near future. While I'm not an expert at navigating the professional world (yet!), I think it's valuable to share experiences with others.
ReplyDeleteI'll definitely check out your blog. Have a great night!
Fun and Stylish!
ReplyDeleteVery great and informative post dear! Thanks so much for visiting me earlier and for your comment! I would like to follow your blog, but there is no follow option. xx Pip
ReplyDeletehttp://easyoutfitsbypip.blogspot.com
Thank you!...and you're very welcome. I need to add an RSS button to my menu. Check back soon!
Delete